he There has been an update in the upcoming FPS game Overwatch. The developers have released a video detailing future updates incoming to the game.
The update will significantly alter one particular champion : Symmetra. Symmetra had become a champion that was significantly avoided. Its skills were suited for one particular point and only on the defense side. A map has around 3 points on an average in Overwatch. Considering a team plays both attack and defense, thats a total of 6 points. Symmetra was viable only on one and even then she was a character with almost no synergy with other characters.
A team based game such as Overwatch needs various characters to work with each other and synergise in order to perform really well together. As such changes were needed for Symmetra. This was announced by Lead developer Jeff Kaplan a few weeks ago.
The latest update makes Symmetra a viable character that players can use in competitive Overwatch.
You can read the full patch notes ( which is still only in the Public Test Region ) below :
- Added a new “Boop” unlockable voice line for Sombra
- Players can now select the 1v1 Mystery Duel and 3v3 Elimination game modes from the Custom Game menu
- Added a “Stay as Team” feature, which allows players to remain grouped with their teammates after the match has ended
HERO BALANCE UPDATES
- New Abilities
- Photon Barrier
- Replaces her existing Photon Shield ability
- Generates a large energy barrier in front of Symmetra that blocks enemy fire as it travels forward
- Shield Generator (New Ultimate Ability)
- Symmetra’s Ultimate ability now offers a choice between her Teleporter and a new option: Shield Generator
- Shield Generator places a device that grants additional shields to any ally within the its effective radius, regardless of barriers, walls, or obstacles between heroes and the Shield Generator
- Photon Barrier
- Photon Projector (Primary Fire)
- Range has been increased from 5 meters to 7 meters
- Sentry Turret
- Number of turrets that can be carried has been increased from 3 turrets to 6 turrets
- Cooldown has been reduced from 12 seconds to 10 seconds
- Decreased health from 200 to 50
- Increased shields from 0 to 350
- Photon Shield
- Replaced with the new Photon Barrier ability
Developer Comments: When looking into changes for Symmetra, we wanted to address two main issues: she didn’t feel active enough, and she often felt weak in certain situations on different maps and game modes, due to her Teleporter.
To address the first point, we removed her more passive Photon Shield ability, and replaced it with a much more active ability: Photon Barrier. Now, Symmetra can help lead the charge on offense or help shut down a big push on defense by actively blocking damage for your team.
For the second point, we noticed players would often switch off of her when they felt like her Teleporter wasn’t as useful. For example, when playing her on defense on an Assault map, players often only used her to defend the first capture point, then quickly changed if that point fell. To help her feel more useful in more situations, we’ve given her an alternate to her Teleporter. The Shield Generator is just as important for the enemy to deal with, but is useful in more situations than her Teleporter.
The turret changes allow her to rebuild her turret nests faster. Even if all her turrets are wiped out, it’s now easier for players to build them all back up before the next push.
The last change increases the range on her Arc Welder to make it easier for her to build up and keep a powerful charge on her weapon.
- Particle Barrier/Projected Barrier
- Attacks that deal damage to both a barrier and the target of a barrier (such as Reinhardt’s Fire Strike, Hanzo’s Dragonstrike, etc.), no longer deal damage to the barrier twice
The update should be patched over to the Main Client in over a weekś time. Symmetra being used in the competitive gaming will significantly alter the metagame.
Source : BattleNet Forums